Candidates for Mini Tummy Tuck Surgery
A regimen of diet and exercise is often an effective and rewarding way to enhance the contours of your body. However, not all areas of the body may be affected by this. Alternatively, weight loss can result in loose, leftover skin that is particularly difficult to get rid of. For many of our Fort Worth patients, a tummy tuck procedure can help overcome the final hurdle of stubborn fat and skin in the abdomen.
Still, not all patients require an extensive procedure. A mini tummy tuck can provide amazing results for the right candidates, as noted below.
A Full vs. Mini Tummy Tuck
In any tummy tuck procedure, called abdominoplasty, the surgeon will remove extraneous skin and fat to produce smoother, flatter contours. Different techniques may be used, depending on the degree and location of tissue removal. Traditional tummy tucks concern the whole abdominal area, from the navel downward. In this full procedure, an incision will be made around the belly button and across the front of the waist.
Mini tummy tucks, on the other hand, have a more limited area of treatment. With a much smaller incision near the pubic bone, tissue can be removed and tightened below the navel. Patients who qualify for a mini tummy tuck benefit from its less invasive procedure and easier recovery.
Mini Tummy Tuck Candidates
Unlike a full tummy tuck, a mini tummy tuck can only be performed for a small to moderate amount of excess tissue in the lower abdomen. Candidacy is therefore limited to patients who are only looking to improve this area. If unwanted skin and fat is also present in the upper abdomen, or along the flanks and hips, a full or extended tummy tuck may be more appropriate.
The following cases are common reasons patients may consider mini tummy tuck surgery:
- Unresponsive fat: Despite a patient’s best efforts, some areas of the body can be very difficult to tone. The lower abdomen is one such area where skin and fat may accumulate and stay. If a significant amount of fat is present, a tummy tuck can be combined with liposuction for optimal results.
- Weight loss: After losing weight, it’s possible for excess skin to remain. These folds of skin are not easily removed through traditional means, and may benefit from a mini tummy tuck.
- Pregnancy: After childbirth, it’s common for a combination of lingering fat and loose skin to remain in the abdomen. This is especially true if the skin has lost some of its elasticity. As one of our mommy makeover services, a mini tummy tuck is a popular treatment for mothers of all ages.
- Genetics: Most people have some “problem area” in the body as a result of genetics. Some people are simply predisposed to pockets of skin and fat in the lower abdomen, but a mini tummy tuck can ensure that they are a problem no longer.
- Age: As people grow older, their skin loses elasticity and metabolic rate decreases. Resultantly, the stomach can begin to sag in certain areas. A mini tummy tuck is an excellent way to keep your figure and fight the effects of aging on your body.
As long as patients are in good general health and have few risk factors for recovery, they can likely undergo a mini tummy tuck without complication. Likewise, good candidates should also have a realistic expectation of what the surgery can accomplish. To gain a more accurate understanding regarding what a mini tummy tuck can do for you, speak with your plastic surgeon.
Is a Mini Tummy Tuck Right for You?
Due to its smaller incisions and easier recovery, the mini tummy tuck is an appealing technique for many patients. However, candidacy must be determined on an individual basis. Through a personal consultation with Dr. Ramalla, you can learn whether this treatment or another of our body contouring procedures is the best option for you. Contact our practice for additional information and to schedule an appointment.