See Clearly Again with Upper Eyelid Surgery for Obscured Vision
Aging, hereditary factors, skin damage, and other conditions can cause your upper eyelids to sag. This can create an older, tired facial appearance. In addition, on a more serious medical level, upper eyelid drooping can interfere with your vision and overall quality of life. At Tarrant Plastic Surgery, Dr. Vishnu Rumalla can perform blepharoplasty, a procedure to remove excess skin, fat, and tissue from your upper eyelids. If you suffer from impaired vision due to sagging, Dr. Rumalla may recommend upper eyelid surgery for obscured vision at our convenient Fort Worth practice. Read on to learn more about this procedure and find out if you may qualify for it.
What Is Upper Eyelid Surgery?
To lift and lighten your upper eyelids, Dr. Rumalla will create tiny incisions into your eyes’ natural lines for subtle scarring. He will then use these openings to trim away excess, drooping skin and tissue. If necessary, Dr. Rumalla may also repair or tighten underlying muscles for a firmer look and feel. To complete your surgery, he will pull your skin taut and close your incisions for a realistic, revitalized appearance. Since it is minimally invasive and relatively simple to perform, upper eyelid surgery may require lighter forms of sedation.
Are You a Candidate?
You may qualify for an upper eyelid blepharopasty if you:
- Are at least 18 years old (although most patients are older than 40).
- Do not suffer from any serious ophthalmological issues, such as glaucoma, Graves’ disease, dry eye, or structural disorders.
- Have sagging eyelid tissue that falls into your line of sight.
- Do not drink excessively or smoke, since these habits can impair your healing and increase your risk for complications.
- Are in good overall health, able to safely undergo anesthesia and recover well from surgery.
- Have realistic expectations about the outcomes of your surgery.
Dr. Rumalla will examine your eyelids, review your medical records, and discuss your concerns with you to determine if you are eligible for upper eyelid surgery at your initial consultation.
Benefits of Eyelid Surgery
Our patients appreciate upper eyelid surgery because this procedure:
- Allows them to see better, improving their ability to go about daily activities. According to a 2011 study conducted by the American Academy of Ophthalmology, blepharoplasty can expand patients’ field of eyesight by over 25 percent.
- Creates a youthful, refreshed look.
- Alleviates the discomfort associated with drooping eyelids irritating the ocular tissue.
- Has a comparatively short recovery time. Most patients return to work or school in less than two weeks.
- Results in minimal, discreet scarring while delivering beautiful results.
Experience Brighter, Clearer Vision
Upper eyelid surgery offers numerous cosmetic and medical benefits. This procedure can simultaneously restore your vision and a youthful look. To learn more about upper eyelid surgery or schedule a consultation with Dr. Rumalla, contact our plastic surgery practice today.